Just a reminder that we have a NEW $10 catalina promotion launching on Wednesday, March 29!
From March 29 - April 11, 2017, shoppers who spend $30 or more on select HEB or Hill Country Fare products will receive a $10 catalina to use on a future purchase!
NOTE: The future purchase must be made between April 12 - 25, 2017, and it must be a minimum of $30 before coupons.
So if you've never done any catalina deals at HEB before, here's how you can prepare for the great offers that will be available between March 29 - April 11:
- Your minimum purchase -- $30, in this case -- is for your total before manufacturer coupons. So catalinas are a great chance to stockpile deals on some of your favorite HEB brands. Keep in mind that HEB brand food products are NOT included in this promotion -- we are looking at household, cleaning, laundry, paper products, personal care products, pet and baby products instead.
- We can use digital coupons to purchase items that trigger a catalina. I recommend going into your app now and searching by category (specifically Household) to see what's available. We may have more digital coupons coming out on Wednesday, March 29 that can also match back.
- Using HEB yellow coupons can be tricky, because the register reads them as a price adjustment, not an actual coupon. So you'll need to take that into account while doing your math. I have had good luck waiting until the cashier hits TOTAL, then passing over all my coupons. That way, the catalina has already printed, and the price adjustment of the HEB store coupons does not drop you below the minimum to trigger the catalina.
- Don't try to use your new catalinas before the April 11 redemption date. That will be coupon misuse, and could possibly lead to an embarrassing interaction with the cashier at checkout. I hear from at least one reader during every catalina promotion who says, "But my cashier let me!" It's still misuse (and could have repercussions for that cashier down the line.)
- You CAN use any $10 Kimberly-Clark catalina coupons you may have already earned to pay for items that in turn trigger a new catalina. Here's how that would work: 1) Buy $30 worth of participating HEB products. 2) After the cashier hits TOTAL, pass over your $10 Kimberly-Clark catalina FIRST. That knocks your price down to $20. 3) Next, use any yellow coupons you might have found in-store to lower your price further. 4) After your transaction completes, you'll receive your new $10 catalina coupon along with your receipt!
- You can only earn one catalina per transaction. In fact, we are usually only allowed to earn one catalina per customer per day on most of these promotions. So if you want to stockpile, say, $30 worth of HEB brand diapers and $30 worth of HEB brand pet food, you will need to do that on two separate transactions to earn two $10 catalinas. You could do that in two separate trips to the same store, or you could plan one shopping trip to hit multiple HEB stores in the same general area of town.
- If your catalina doesn't print at the register, ask for a manager's help before leaving the store. Managers have a 'fail-safe' code that they can use to force a catalina to print -- assuming, of course, that you bought the right number of items and all of that. This can definitely add some time to your register check-out, but leaving the store a little late is far less frustrating than leaving empty-handed! NOTE: If you shop on the first day of the catalina promotion, your chances of having this happen rise exponentially. I ALWAYS recommend bringing a copy of the weekly HEB ad with you to the register, to show your cashier and/or manager that yes, a new promotion has started, and yes, they need to get your catalina. If you're the sort of person who gets anxious about that level of follow-up, I recommend you wait a day or two into the promotion period to make sure your store has had time to update their register systems.
- If you don't get a manager's help for a catalina reprint, you can still request a reprint at home. However, the reprint request is limited to one per customer, so if you are doing a lot of shopping, you really do need to be communicating with your store manager on what's happening at your local HEB. Go here for more info on how to request a reprinted catalina.
- You must use the catalina on a $30 purchase or larger. So plan to use your catalina on a larger shopping trip once it's able to be used beginning April 11 -- and don't go nuts accumulating the catalinas if you don't have a plan to spend them carefully. I heard a horror story last year of a shopper who had earned over 40 catalinas, not understanding that she had to redeem them all in separate purchases! Here are a few more tips on how to shop with catalinas at HEB.
If you're an experienced HEB catalina shopper, what other tips can you share? And if you're new to using catalinas at HEB, what questions do you have? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.